I’m delighted to accept The One Lovely Blog award and to have been selected by Jann Newton of Newton Custom Interiors. Through this blogging award, fellow bloggers recognize others who are “lovely” storytellers and pouring positive energy out in the world.
It’s always great to hear that others considering my blog a lovely one, that it requires that I share 7 personal facts so you can get to know me better, and even greater when I get to pay it forward nominating some remarkable ladies that are committed to teach other moms tools to live a greater life – my favorite part. Spoiler alert: most are speakers at the Inspiring Mom Bloggers Summit 🙂 I just couldn’t resist sharing their awesomeness with you once more.
7 Personal Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Me
- I have an angel. More like a “Fairy God-brother” lol It is no secret that I’ve been through some tough experiences in my life, and I can say that my brother Ele helping me overcome them has been a common denominator in my life. One of my most treasured memories is how he took care of me when I couldn’t use my right arm, had a lot of broken bones, and was recovering from an almost fatal crash. He literally did everything for me. My little brother also spent his lifetime savings and exchanged them for the dollars that helped me reset my life in the US when I found myself a single mom. I’d have to write an entire book to do him justice… he’s THAT amazing!
- I love words. I am a voracious reader, even though growing up we never owned any books. We had to walk several miles to the only library in town and it didn’t have a great variety to choose from, which is why we read the Bible from cover to cover – over and over. I owned my first book when I was 13. My aunt’s boyfriend bought it for me. It was an InTune English book, because I was taking classes to learn English at that time. I also know Italian – and it’s my favorite! I love reading and writing in any language, but I’ve only published books in English so far. Writing is definitely how my soul comes out and my wounds heal.
- My dad is my hero. I am a daddy’s girl. I feel that I can get away with saying that because I’m little [I used to be 4’11 before my pregnancies but I’ve shrunk one inch with each of them lol]. When I was a child, I thought everyone hated me and the only person who loved me was my dad. Of course, I now know that wasn’t the case, but it felt really real at the time. I am grateful that he spoke my love language and he’s still very fluent. We share a truly powerful bond, we can talk about anything, and I admire his gentle strength, his wisdom, and his sense of adventure.
- I’ve walked on fire. I’m a self-help lover. I was about 9 when my mom was going to college and she used to bring books she borrowed from her friends and I got my hands on books by Dale Carnegie, Wayne Dyer, Brian Tracy… you name it, and I am so blessed to hang out of many of these authors and teachers today. I was very sneaky… and I’ve been hooked ever since. I also love going to motivational seminars and conferences, which is why it’s not surprising that I belong to the personal development for a living. One of my favorite experiences – that I share with Oprah!!!! – was walking on fire at a Tony Robbins’ seminar called Unleash the Power Within [UPW for short] It was surreal!
- I’m always homesick. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic, which is an island in the Caribbean (about half an island, if you think about it, because we share it with Haiti). I moved to USA in December of 2001 and, since then, I’ve been walking around with a hole in my heart. I started traveling to the US in 1999 and I’ve so far visited over 35 states. I really miss home, especially at Christmas, Father’s day, and my dad’s birthday.
- I became an entrepreneur at age 7. My first business was a cardboard puppet theater. I’ve always loved storytelling, so this may count as my first “stage.” It was a real money maker because we didn’t have electrical power and all the kids were bored most nights. I used to make money with my handwriting (writing poems, love letters, break up, make up letters, motivational quotes, etc.) and tutoring my classmates, too. I love being a momprayneur: being my own boss, working from home, and having the freedom to design a career that supports my lifestyle.
- I can be fun. Sometimes when I meet people and I tell them I’m Vegan, they are so prompt to stress that they love food… It’s funny to me because I seriously do love eating, and cooking, and feeding others… and I have so much fun while doing it. It’s also crazy because as an LDS, I don’t do coffee, wine, or cocktails – oh and “to top it off” I don’t listen to the radio or watch TV! I can have fun singing karaoke, laughing at my own jokes, dancing like a maniac, or going to a –non R rated– movie in my pajamas. Most of my days are happy and include high doses of laughing like a hyena… I just get my fun in unconventional ways. You can be christian, choosy, and conscious, and have fun too!
So… enough about me! Below are my 15 proposed nominees for The One Lovely Blog Award, in alphabetical order. I know you will enjoy their lovely blogs!
Kathy Brandon ~ Nadine Bubeck ~ Alice Chase ~ Raquel Cusi ~ Elisha and Elyssa ~ Lauren Fire ~ Michelle Garrett ~ Priscilla Hedlin ~ Narmy Hernandez ~ Shannon Hummer ~ Heidi Kleine ~ Karen Putz ~ Jessica Rector ~ Traci Shannon ~ Paula Tobey ~ Pamela Zimmer
Here are guidelines to follow when you get a nomination for the One Lovely Blog Award:
- Thank and link back to the person who nominated you.
- Share 7 facts about yourself.
- Nominate 15 other bloggers you admire and comment on their blogs to let them know.
That’s all folks! Oh…. and back to me now (lol), which of my seven facts did you find most surprising?